Nainital is a charming hill station nestled in the lap of the Kumaon Himalayas in Uttarakhand. The town is located around a beautiful lake and surrounded by green hills, making it a popular destination for nature lovers, adventure enthusiasts, and honeymooners. The town was established in the 19th century by the British, who were drawn to the beauty of the place. Today, Nainital is a bustling tourist town with plenty of things to see and do.
Outline of the Article
Getting to Nainital
Nainital is well connected by road and rail. The nearest airport to Nainital is Pantnagar, which is about 65 km from the town. The best way to reach Nainital is by road, as the drive is scenic and offers stunning views of the hills.
Things to Do in Nainital
- Naini Lake – The centerpiece of Nainital is the beautiful Naini Lake, which is surrounded by hills and dotted with boats. Take a boat ride or enjoy a leisurely walk around the lake. The lake is especially beautiful at sunset when the sun casts a golden glow on the water.
- Tiffin Top – Tiffin Top, also known as Dorothy’s Seat, is a popular viewpoint in Nainital. The viewpoint offers stunning views of the town and the surrounding hills. It is a short hike from the town center and is a great place to watch the sunrise or sunset.
- Naina Devi Temple – The Naina Devi Temple is a popular pilgrimage site in Nainital. The temple is located on the northern shore of the Naini Lake and is dedicated to the goddess Naina Devi. The temple is especially busy during the Nanda Devi Fair, which takes place every year in September.
- Snow View Point – Snow View Point is another popular viewpoint in Nainital. The viewpoint offers stunning views of the Himalayas, including Nanda Devi and Trishul. The best time to visit is during the winter when the mountains are covered in snow.
- Trekking – Nainital is surrounded by hills and offers plenty of opportunities for trekking. The most popular trek is the Nainital Betalghat Trek, which takes you through the Kumaon hills and offers stunning views of the Himalayas.
- Shopping – Nainital is known for its beautiful handicrafts and handmade candles. Visit the local markets to pick up some souvenirs and gifts for your loved ones.
- Eco Cave Gardens – Eco Cave Gardens is a popular tourist attraction in Nainital. The gardens feature a series of interconnected caves that are illuminated and decorated with statues of animals. The gardens are especially popular with children.
You may also Love to Read:
Top 10 Hill Stations in India for Adventure and Relaxation
Where to Stay in Nainital
Nainital has plenty of accommodation options, ranging from budget hotels to luxury resorts. Some popular options include The Naini Retreat, The Manu Maharani, and The Royal Court. This is the 5-star hotel in Nainital.
When to Visit Nainital
The best time to visit Nainital is between March and June when the weather in Nainital is pleasant and the flowers are in bloom. The town is especially beautiful during the monsoon season when the hills are covered in lush greenery. The winter months, from November to February, are also a good time to visit, especially if you want to see the snow-covered mountains. Note: Before Planing to visit Nainital, you should check any policy updates on the Uttarakhand Tourism official website.
Nainital is a beautiful and charming hill station that offers something for everyone. Whether you want to relax by the lake, go trekking in the hills, or explore the local markets, Nainital has plenty to offer. Plan your visit today and experience the magic of this beautiful town in Kumaon.